Friday, December 18, 2009

Almost time to leave - part 2

A day later than promised, but better than usual given my blogging habits. So here we go, the things I won't miss about China:
  • The environment. Some days it can be pretty nice (today was sunny and clear), but those are rare.  Generally it's grey and murky and dusty (due to construction below).  When I first moved over here I had a lot trouble running as my lungs just couldn't handle the poor air quality. I've gotten much more used to it...but I don't think that's a good thing.  There have been plenty of days throughout the year where the visibility was no more than a kilometre in any direction due to the haze and smog.  Not good. 
  • The construction. I understand that the 2010 World Expo is happening here next year so the infrastructure needs to be improved, but it's absolutely ridiculous. Roads being ripped up all over the place. New freeways and ring roads being installed.  Footpaths being paved, ripped up, paved again, modified for trees, tree implanted, trees being removed, repaved again - enough already!
  • The spitting. Obviously it's part of life here, and is a big cultural difference as it seems to be widely accepted (although not necessarily encouraged).  As my friend Shotty said when he left China after visiting me: "I'll be happy if I never have to hear someone hock a loogie again"
  • The traffic. Running red lights, going up the street the wrong way, near-misses with buses - these are all things that I have experienced during my time in China.  The roads are horrendous in some places, and with the complete lack of a police presence drivers often do whatever they want.  Also not a fan of being at a pedestrian crossing with a green signal and having to wait for cars to go past.  Grrr.
  • The weather extremes.  Up to 40 in the summer and -5 in the winter in Shanghai (much worse in Beijing though, so I'm happy I'm not there).  The humidity in summer is a killer, as you just get soaked in sweat whenever you're outside.  In the winter there's always a cold breeze blowing, which probably takes a few degrees off due to the wind chill factor.
The good definitely outweighs the bad.  I've had a really good time living in Shanghai - I can see why some expats come over intending on staying for a short time and end up living here for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment