Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Almost time to leave - part 1

That's right, in exactly one week from today I'll be on a plane heading back to Melbourne. Via Sydney, which sucks a bit, but that's what has to be done when you fly Qantas these days.  I get back to Melbourne at 2pm on Christmas Eve...barring any unforseen weather circumstances, of course.  Back in December 2006 I experienced my first ever cancelled flight...which was going from Shanghai to Melbourne.  Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

It's been a pretty interesting year living in Shanghai. I've seen more of the country (Xi'an and Beijing being the best trips), had some old friends come over and visit (probably the most enjoyable times for me), and made some new ones locally.  After initially going out to a bunch of bars and clubs on my own, I've got to say it's a lot more fun when you're with other people!  

There are a number of things that I'm going to miss about living here:
  • Cheap and delicious food.  A big bowl of tasty noodles for lunch for $AUD1.50.  A can of coke for $AUD0.40. The best dumplings I've ever had. Amazing vegetable dishes that are so much better than anything you can get in Australia. Going out to a hot-pot restaurant and eating/drinking as much as you can between 5 people for only $AUD10 each.  Admittedly the cost of western food is horrendous (and sometimes the quality is pretty average), but that's understandable given there isn't as much of a demand for it. 
  • Easy bar-hopping. Aside from the premium clubs, there are no bouncers at any of the bars.  And there are bars everywhere.  Show up to one place and don't like it, it's only a few minutes to get to the next place.  And it doesn't matter how drunk you are, you'll walk straight in.  That, plus the regular $AUD15 all-you-can-drink nights make for some massive hangovers.
  • Cheap taxis.  No matter where I go out in Shanghai, I always end up getting a taxi home because the subway only runs until 10pm or so.  But I don't think I've ever paid more than $AUD12 for a taxi fare, even though I've been on some pretty long trips.  The taxis are cheap and plentiful, which is the way it should be.
  • Walking to work. A brisk 2.5km walk to work every day is great...except when it's 38 degrees and extremely humid outside.  The summer was not a fun time to be walking to work, but the rest of the year it's a good bit of exercise.
  • A clean, efficient public transport system. Light years ahead of Melbourne's offering.  There are lines all over the city (with new ones being added almost yearly), and the trains come along every 5 minutes for most of the day (I think the longest I've ever waited for one was 8 minutes...and that was only because I just missed one).  Wouldn't mind living a little closer to the station, but being able to travel anywhere on the entire system for about $AUD0.50 makes up for it.
  • Living in an apartment complex.  The gardens inside the complex are very well maintained and it makes for a pleasant walk every morning and evening (and a good running track when I've only done a short course).  Living in an apartment has been great - plenty of room, no yard to maintain - it may be the way to go in the future.
Tomorrow - things I won't miss about living in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment