Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Backstreet's Back

Had another big dinner with the customer last night after work. Still struggling today as a result.

It was just the project teams at this one, so only about 20 people in total. Things proceeded just like the other work dinners I've been to - lots of food, lots of toasts, lots of beer. We ended up leaving fairly early, at around 9pm. We left the restaurant and wandered over the road to a big building with KTV on the front. I thought we were going for a bar for more drinks, and when we got inside I found that I was correct. We were in a bar, and there were more drinks - but it was a karaoke bar.


Now personally, I can't stand karaoke. I can't sing, and I know it. But it seems to be a way of life in China so I had to go along with it. We booked a big room for the 15 of us that were left, and had a couple of slabs of beer delivered as well as some food. There was a massive screen on the wall, a couple of microphones and a PC in the corner where people were able to choose the song they wanted to sing to.

The first hour went by with everyone else choosing their favourite traditional Chinese songs, and there were definitely some standout performers. I tried to stay out of the way and simply demolish as much beer as I could (as you do), but eventually I was coerced into picking a song to sing. The guys scrolled through a couple of songs before I found one that I recognized - Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way. With a shudder I took up a microphone and proceeded to sing along...with everyone else clapping along, to my utter horror. After what seemed like an eternity, but was actually just over 3 minutes, the song was over and I was able to rest.


But not for long. Only another half an hour went by before I was asked to get up and sing another song. I simply picked the very next one that was after my first one - Backstreet Boys - All I Have To Give. Before too long it was out of the way, and thankfully was my last performance for the night. However, I had continued to knock back the beers like they were going out of fashion, and before too long, my stomach gave me a knowing look...or maybe that should be a knowing lurch...and I was off to the toilet to inspect the inside of the porcelain fairly closely. Luckily, everyone else had had enough by this time, so we all went home and I was in bed by 12:30.

I believe I need to re-think my entire drinking strategy when I go out to these work dinners. I'm used to having some big sessions, but typically I get to drink at my own pace over a longer time period. When you're consistently downing beers because someone else has toasted you, you don't have much control over what you're taking in. I think my body is a bit shocked by the sheer volume of alcohol I'm consuming over the course of these dinners (and karaoke sessions thereafter).


Getting up to go to work this morning sucked big time, let me tell you. Thank god I'm going back to Australia in a few days. My body needs a rest from this punishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment