Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hot pot and beer usually spells a big night out

Friday night I had a fairly big night - I went out for dinner with 4 other co-workers after work. We tried to go to my favourite hot pot restaurant (Little Sheep), only to find that they were closed for renovations. Devastated! Luckily, we knew of another option that was only about 1km away, so we made our way there. It was a good thing we had some locals with us because unlike Little Sheep, this restaurant didn't have an English menu, so there is no way I would have been able to order anything.

Anyway, the food was good, but not up to the LS standard. We ended up drinking about 12 longneck bottles of beer between us and consumed an astonishing amount of food...for the grand total of $12 each :) I've said it before and I'll say it again - the value you get for Australian money over here is astonishing sometimes.

After the meal one of the other guys was keen to kick on, so we went over to Puxi to an English bar named the Bulldog to meet up with some of his friends (two Poms and a Yank). I've mentioned the Bulldog in a previous post when I went there and saw Manchester United vs Arsenal. Well, this time there was no soccer on, and it was much quieter as a result. We stayed there for a couple of pints and then moved on to another bar named 'The Shelter', which was a pretty funky underground bar in what seemed to be an actual bomb shelter.

It took a bit of finding - I seem to recall that the door kind of appeared out of nowhere, and was not well marked at all. After paying a $5 cover charge (a rarity in the bars that I've been to over here) we walked down an extremely steep set of stairs, then down a claustrophobic's nightmare hallway, and out into a bunker-type area. The bar stretched out on the left, and a number of people were dancing in-between some massive concrete pillars that seemed to be dotted around the place holding the roof up. It was bizarre, but kind of cool. Probably would have been better if there had been more people. That and the fact that the music was average (hip-hop crap) meant that we only stayed for about half an hour before migrating to Zapatas, another bar that was close by.

We went to Zapatas for the fabled '1am Popcorn Party' - at 1am on certain Friday nights, they unleash a sea of popcorn on the dancefloor. We got there about 10 minutes before 1, and took up our positions on the side of the (packed) dancefloor and waited....and waited...and waited...and it didn't happen! We had thought it was every Friday, but maybe it only happens on the first Friday of the month or something. Anyway, we stayed there for a few hours and moved on to our final place of the evening, but I can't remember what it was called (was pretty pissed by this stage if you hadn't already guessed). Had a few beers there before calling it a night just after 4am.

Remarkably, considering the amount I drank, I woke up feeling pretty good on the Saturday. In fact, I was even well enough to go out and play basketball for a couple of hours in the afternoon. In 32 degree heat. This was perhaps a little optimistic in hindsight, because I got home afterwards and absolutely crashed. I had been intending on going out again on the Saturday night, but ended up falling asleep in front of the TV at about 9pm.

Happily, this meant that I woke up as fresh as a daisy on Sunday. I guess there are some side benefits to having a quiet night in after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment